11.09.2009

Lost in Translation(s)

Another year, another new Bible translation. The Common English Bible is causing quite a stir in Christian community right now.There are roughly 15 standard translations in relatively common use among Christians: KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, ESV, REB, NIV, TNIV, NLT, HCSB, NASB, NJB, NET, NAB, & CEV. In my experience, most people have strong opinions about one or more of these translations whether positive or negative.
But what is the difference between all of these versions, really?
As I see it, 5 issues really seem to differentiate translations.
1) Theological Perspective of the Translators - Is it a Roman Catholic translation (NAB)? Protestant (Most)? Evangelical (ESV, NLT)? Or was it translated by a good mixture of people (NRSV, REB)?
2) OT Textual Criticism - Does the text follow the Masoretic Text faithfully (Most), or is it more willing to consider readings from the Septuagint, Dead Sea Scrolls, Peshitta, and other sources (RSV, NRSV, REB)?
3) NT Textual Criticism - Does the text follow the Textus Receptus (KJV, NKJV), or a more modern Greek NT (All Others)?
4) Literal vs. Dynamic Philosophy - Are the translators attempting to be as literal as they can be (KJV, NASB, ESV), or to make the text as readable as it can be (NIV, NLT, CEV)?
5) Gender Translation - Do the translators use man/men when the passage clearly includes women (NIV, ESV), or do they try to make it more neutral (NRSV, NLT, TNIV)?
I am an NRSV guy. On these 5 issues the NRSV is as follows: ecumenical team of translators, eclectic textual criticism in the OT and NT, literal translation philosophy, and more gender neutral.
If I had to pick one that I would not personally want to use, it would be the NKJV. I understand the spirit of the NKJV, but if I wanted a translation that followed the Textus Receptus, the original KJV is just so beautiful.
What about you? Which translation(s) do you like and why? Which translation(s) do you think should not be used and why?

4 comments:

  1. I use the NIV just cause its pretty close to real english and it was really popular when I was in college. I think the NKJV is a total joke - it makes nobody happy! KJV only people don't want an update and people who want a modern translation would like post-17th century scholarship behind it - I think it just gets bought on accident...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bern,
    I think most of our generation uses the niv for those same reasons. for me i grew up in an nasb church, went to niv in college, tniv/nrsv in seminary, and then only recently dropped the tniv (mainly bc of the 2011 update thing).
    That's funny, that the nkjv gets bought on accident. Like you, I really don't see the niche it is filling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the Paragraph over verse topic.
    Interesting enough until a good friend pointed out the difference between the two I never gave the paragraph over verse option a second thought however I am thankful he did.
    Bridging the gap of time is difficult the many translations help and choosing your translation is fun while a (NLT) can be helpful I like the KJV, NASB and ESV more. I enjoy word studies and find these translations more helpful. Personally I am a complimentarian not an egalitarian so these bibles that cater to the egalitarian discipline are not my favorites, however they do have their purpose. I am thankful for the many translations and they all represent a loving God reaching out to many, the ESV being my preferred for this season of my life. My R. L. Allan and Sons PSR was shipped to me today so I should receive it sometime this week. After several months of test driving I will share my thoughts on its quality.
    All in All get the bible you will read on a daily commitment and have something to compare it to when there are questions.
    Use Gods tools ie teacher/pastors and give Him the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miles,
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    I think we should probably not connect the gender in translation issue to the complementarian/egalitarian issue. I think whether the text should be translated one way or the other ought to be decided on linguistic and textual considerations rather than theological ones. I am never an advocate of translating according to theology.

    ReplyDelete

In all things charity.