9.13.2009

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog.

An oft quoted dictum in theology states, "In the essentials unity, in the non-essentials liberty, in everything charity." This blog is about enjoying the liberty of the non-essentials, matters of taste I call them.

For many Christians, it is difficult to get a sense of what is essential and what is not. I certainly include myself in this. As an urban church-planter, I am constantly thinking about contextualizing the gospel. My hope is that together we can both understand the essential core that is the gospel, and discuss legitimate differences in the non-essentials.

Each week I will post some reflections on a non-essential Christian issue. These issues will range from the seemingly trivial to the extremely serious. I will ask readers to engage the issue from their point of view. My hope is that several different viewpoints will be expressed. Through this sort of discussion perhaps we can all come to clearer understanding of the beautiful variety within the church and fulfill the final phrase of the famous dictum, in everything charity.

In order for this to be helpful two things need to happen: 1) I need to come up with quality topics for discussion. 2) People with differing ideas need to respond and interact. I will try to fulfill my end. I am asking those of you out there who have opinions, please respond!

I will be posting every Monday afternoon. I am looking for responses not only from those with seminary degrees, but from anyone with a thought, idea, or opinion. I am looking forward to hearing your ideas!

2 comments:

  1. Ryan! Great idea for a blog! I look forward to doing to you what you always do to me - that is provide helpful feedback...

    ReplyDelete
  2. bern,
    you mean a taste of my own medicine? :)

    ReplyDelete

In all things charity.