10.05.2009

My Dream Bible...

Over the past few months, I have become a fan of The Bible Design and Binding blog.  The blog is not so much about the content of the Bible as it is the physical aspects of the Bibles we purchase. The author posts reviews of various Bibles in his quest to find his perfect Bible.

If I lived in an alternate universe, where publisher allowed people to design their own perfect Bible (instead of mass producing them in cookie-cutter fashion) here are some things I would request in my perfect Bible:

NRSV translation (my fav, yes we will discuss translation in a later post).
It would have a soft, flexible, but durable black leather cover with the words Holy Bible stamped on the spine, and no other words anywhere.
The dimensions would be roughly 5x7x1.5, small enough to carry, but big enough to read.
When you open the Bible there would be a real leather lining inside the cover.
It would have nice thick paper so you cannot see the words on the next page.
The text would be single column like a novel, black letter, and paragraphed but without section headings.
It would have a nice classic font at a readable 9pts.
The end of the Bible would contain the NET Bible maps (holy cow those are cool), and a handy concordance.
It would all be topped off with three thick dark red ribbons.
Perfect.

I actually had an NRSV Bible rebound by Leonard's Book Restortation. I attempted to incorporate many of the my 'dream' features. Here are a couple of pictures.





What would your dream Bible look like? If you have a Bible you love, what do you love about it?
Do you think the physical aspects of a Bible are worth discussing?  Or do you think this is a frivolous discussion?

6 comments:

  1. You talking about a preachin' Bible, a teaching Bible, a studying Bible, a quiet time Bible, or a shelf/coffee table Bible? Cause I'd go w/ a stylish, leather NIV with big print for preaching, NET (Diglot for NT) for teaching, Bibleworks for studying/QT, and a giant old KJV that is falling apart for a shelf/coffee table Bible. Frivolous perhaps (though it's taking everything in me not to make an American Patriots Bible joke here, mostly b/c I know it would just typecast me after that last post...)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bible shown is my personal use Bible, i.e. study, reading, carrying etc... My dream Bible would do that and be a good preaching Bible. As for coffee table Bibles, nothing beats the good old KJV full with renaissance paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply summed up I want a bible that is the product of good craftsmanship. I own a NASB Cambridge Pitt and it is the finest bible to date ( I have many on my shelf to chose and compare) that I have owned here are the specs red-letter text (I prefer all black letter) and includes cross-references, a concordance, and maps (great key for the maps and as detailed as a study bibles maps). It features gilt-edged India paper (That I love) and like all Cambridge Bibles is Smyth-sewn. It is bound in a deep burgundy French Morocco leather (Cheap and yummy compared to the Goat) 4. 75 x 6.875,it has 1,120 pages I would like to add another 30 pages 15 front and 15 back, ESV translation and have it single column text then it would resemble perfection. I would like to see no chapter headings just a line for me to fill in my own, and no advertisement at all on the outside not even Holy Bible. However compared to the price of the R.L. Allan ESV single column bible which I hope to own in the future you can save $50bucks going Pitt. I think it is important to find the one you love and get familiar with it. I sleep with mine and carry it everywhere. There is doodling from my 3 year old in 2nd Timothy and coffee stains in the OT from late nights with the Holy One. Truly this is my favorite topic and I hold those who share my passion to own top shelf scriptures to be the highest of quality in character and possess moxy to carry the sword. Of course nothing can replace the word imprinted upon the heart of man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miles,
    Thanks for your comments! I too like the Pitt Minion. Although I wish they would excise the references and make the text a bit larger. But for carrying around its tough to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this video summarizes my response.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTYr3JuueF4

    Also I received my new 2008 version NIV study bible today. Excited to break it in. but it's a little to thick to be my perfect Bible.

    ReplyDelete

In all things charity.