12.07.2009

Must Read Now!

When I became a Christian, I hated to read. I actually got by in high school having only ever read one book all the way through (Catcher in the Rye). When I got to college, I met several Christians who were extremely dedicated to growing in the Lord. Every one of them read constantly. Not only this, but every one of them had a short list of books (besides the Bible) that "every believer ought to read." Common titles were Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, or Desiring God by John Piper.
Since that time, I have become a reader. I love to read. I love books. I love used book stores (that's more of an addiction than a love, but whatever). Those who know me now, know me as a guy with a lot of books. In my reading, I have developed some opinions about a 'must reads for every believer' list.

Here is my list in no particular order:
1) The Ragamuffin Gospel or Ruthless Trust by Brennan Manning (they overlap a lot, but they are both excellent)
2) The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (my first "deep" read, a classic that still has bite)
3) A good survey of church history (because if you don't know where you came from, you don't know who you are)
The IVP Pocket History of the Church by Jeff Bingham, and Pocket History of Theology by Roger Olson and Adam English are quite good as short surveys. For a more in depth look, I recommend The Story of Christianity by Justo Gonzalez.
4) How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth by Fee and Stuart (actually lives up to the title)
5) The Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books of the OT (Judith, Tobit, Maccabees, etc... Some of or brothers and sisters read these as scripture, we ought at least to know what they say)
6) My most recent addition, Life With God by Richard Foster (to my mind, Foster's most complete and helpful work)

I am sure you think I have either included something that should be left off, or left something off that should be included. What say you?

12 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I've only read Discipleship and Gonzalez from your list.

    I guess I'd agree on those two, but I'm not sure what to throw in - def something by Piper. For some reason I'm having a hard time thinking up a good list that isn't filled with semi-technical stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bern,
    Maybe you should ask for some of these for Christmas!
    I'm just not a huge Piper fan personally. Something about his style bugs me. I am also not a fan of the whole neo-reformed thing (Piper, Grudem, Sproul, etc...). But then again, I'm not really what you would call a Calvinist.
    What kind of semi-technical stuff? I was tempted to put Walton's ANE Thought and the OT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer
    A must read every couple of years as life changes.
    ~Salyna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salyna,
    That one would be #7, but I was trying to make a list of 5, I was only able to limit it ot 6.
    Great book.
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, ANE & OT by Walton, Beyond the Firmament, Praying the Psalms, Plowshares and Pruning Hooks always come to mind. Regarding Piper, I am not so much into the neo-reformed thing as much as his passion for living daily life for God and of course his paradigm, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him" - that seems to be much broader idea that translates far beyond the neo-reformed niche.

    Good call on Tozer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bern,
    Plowshares is another great one.
    I cannot say exactly why Piper does not appeal to me. I have read several of his books. His central affirmation is helpful. Maybe its a personality thing. I just prefer the books of calmer folks like Peterson, Willard, and Foster. Maybe that says more about me than about John Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. leslie,
    thanks for commenting!
    i have never read it. i think that officially means i can't be a baptist anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might add Practicing the Presence of God or Imitation of Christ. What about Knowing God by Packer? I know many like it. I read it once and enjoyed it but it wouldn't make my top list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matt,
    I agree, Imitation over Presence though.
    As to Knowing God, it is very similar to Knowledge of the Holy by Tozer in many respects. I prefer Tozer for his brevity and clarity. Packer has a tendency toward headiness. Tozer is just such a great communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about a good biography? Two that I and many others have been deeply challenged by are Keith Green's No Compromise, and Daws.

    At times Keith's doctrine wasn't always correct but his heart and passion to know God and to not have sin were extremely convicting. And Dawson's commitment to the word, prayer and discipleship are extremely challenging as well.

    I would love to hear biographies that have challenged anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matt,
    I know for me the biographies that I love are,
    Shadow of the Almighty by Jim Elliot
    The Autobiography of MLK Jr.
    I read both of them when I was in college. They really helped me think about life and society.
    You mentioned The Practice of the Presence of God. That is somewhat a biography. That one was extremely helpful for me as well.

    ReplyDelete

In all things charity.