12.14.2009

Somebody Help Me!

In a course I was teaching, the topic of baptism came up. We discussed various passages dealing with baptism. Prominent among these in our discussion was the story of the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8.26-40). During our discussion, it was noted that some of our Bibles contained v.37, "And Philip said, 'If you believe with all your heart, you may.' And he replied, 'I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God,'" while other Bibles omitted it. One student promptly raised her hand and told us how the evil modern versions were "taking verses out of the Bible because they don't want us to know the truth." I proceeded to give a brief explanation of textual criticism and how that sentence was probably not original, but added later. Her response was, "Well you can't just skip a verse! You have to have verse 37!" I then proceeded to explain how editors of printed Bibles had added verse numbers in the 1500's and how they weren't actually original. Her eyes were as wide as if I had told her Jesus is just some guy who doesn't really matter.

In fact, verse numbers are one among many innovative helps that have been added to the Biblical text for our benefit. The original text contained no verse numbers, no chapter numbers, no system of capital/lowercase letters, no punctuation, no paragraphing, and no spaces between words. The OT did not even have a system of vowels.

THENTWOULDHAVELOOKEDSOMETHINGLIKETHIS
THOTWLDLKLKTHSEXCPTBCKWRDS

In addition to these innovations, modern Bibles contain section heading, red lettering for the words of Christ, cross-reference systems, footnotes, study notes, chain reference systems, maps, concordance, etc...

All of this raises the question for me, how many of these "helps" are really helpful? The anecdote above shows how verse numbering can cause difficulty. Similar arguments could be made about red lettering causing readers to value those words above other words, the insertion of letters in the text for a footnote or cross reference system making it difficult to enjoy reading, and others. Once, I actually had a teen say something like, "The Lord is our shepherd, I shall not F want." She read the letter pointing her to footnote F as if it were part of the text.

For me, I like a minimal number of helps. I am not going to try to argue against verse and chapter numbering, although I think offering editions of the Bible without these would be awesome. I do however, prefer a simple, unadorned paragraphed black letter text edition. I understand the need for study and reference Bibles, and I appreciate them. But for daily use, I prefer to simplicity of a text edition.

What kind of helps do you like in a Bible? Which ones do you think should be taken out?

11 comments:

  1. I have never imagined a Bible without verses and chapters. I might like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to a pdf sample from the only edition i know of to remove chapter and verse. its called the books of the bible project.
    http://thebooksofthebible.info/pdf/TBoTB_John_sample.pdf
    you have to scroll down a couple page to get past the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you, I don't care much for study notes, except in the NET Bible cause they're not so much interested in cramming passages into a particular theological position but more complex textual issues. To each his own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bern,
    I am conflicted about the NET. The notes are helpful, but the translation bugs me. It seems to idiosyncratic in some places. I also don't really like the print editions, it is much better in digital form.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again definitions are important:
    Daily Reader Biblos (The Bible I take every were and read daily. This Bible is my favorite.
    My daily reader only needs the words and references.
    Study Biblos (The Bible i refer to when I am like what did that say, or want to check my understanding against other brothers.)
    I want my study Bibles to be stacked with schtuff and lots of it like a chicago dog with the works. I think to be safe you should have at least two or three study Bibles to check out who is camping were and why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh don't mistake that for an endorsement of the translation - I like the notes. The translation seems pretty inconsistent - sometimes like the living, sometimes like NASB... Notes are great though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bern,
    Inconsistent is the word. Good description. It is unfortunate that they could not achieve a more even product.

    Miles,
    I agree, different Bibles for different purposes. I actually have 6 editions of my favorite translation: a text edition, a compact text edition, a wide margin, a nt/psalms&proverbs, a cloth bound hardback text edition, and study bible.
    However, I will say that instead of collecting study Bibles, I tend to collect commentaries. I just find that they tend to give me a little more both in the way of understanding a position and in summary of other positions. Although, the aforementioned NET Bible approaches this function with its notes. Check it out here: http://net.bible.org/home.php

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryan
    For me i chose not to go the seperate commentary road,
    my reasonong is I prefer not to have as much detail in the notes allowing for more self discovery,have you read some of the notes from the Geneva Bible?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miles,
    I feel the exact opposite way about commentaries. I think notes in my Bible inhibit self discovery and color my reading of the text. This is why I prefer a text without notes, references, or section titles.
    I have seen some from the Geneva Bible. Not really my cup of tea, either in their style or theological bent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ryan

    Sure I agree that is why I posted the above my daily reader is without notes and garb, however I utilize the poor mans commentary which can be accomplished by purchasing the hardback study bibles with coupons, what I have found is that the simple notes in study bible commentaries allow for more self discovery but also give you a mirror to check your discouveries against verses then single or group shelf commentaries that is so deep that you feel like Alice in WONDERLAND and cant catch the stupid rabbit. Of course I am only sharing what works for me others must discover what works for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. to bad i can not spell anyways should be fun for all the detail peeps.

    ReplyDelete

In all things charity.